Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What is in a name?

Last night while playing some nate night WoW I linked this blog to the guild in hopes of drumming up some traffic (even though they couldn't care less). I believe it was Nick who asked "What is dtmracerx?"
Well nobody had bothered to ask me that before even though in forethought it seems like a perfectly logical question. I actually had to think about the answer though! Basically it is two parts: DTMRacer & RacerX

RacerX
Racerx is a character from the hit 60s TV show Speedracer. He is the unknown brother of SpeedRacer himself and always wears that silly mask, which incedentaly has a large X on it.

DTMRacer

This is actually a two part bit. The phrase "DTMRacer" is a littel something from several of the BMW forums I frequent on the web namely DTMPower. It is a handle that seems to be horrible overused (even I have decided to use it!). But the handle consists of two parts Racer and DTM. The Racer part should be self explanitory; someone who drives. The DTM is the acronym for Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft which was a top German-based racing group for 22 years. BMW E30 M3's (a certain car as pictured above) dominated DTM in the early years (5 overall wins are listed on that wikipedia page alone not to mention the idividual races) So through some convoluted logic we can derive DTMRacer and meaning somebody who likes to drive BMW M3's (or BMWs in general!) which is definately me.

So my handle comes from those two combined into a sort of "mystery BMW lover/driver" which I would like to say is me...but I'm not all that mysterious. cool huh?

-G :)

1 comment:

morskyjezek said...

Cool. I was wondering what it meant, too. Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend wearing an X-mask while racing, at least not too often. ;-)