Saturday, November 22, 2014

Chargerectomy

AS the title says: The supercharger is going away. yes, I know: I did just buy this car and pay the price BECAUSE it had a supercharger. Sadly the more I dig into the poor beast it shows that the car may have run but the package was far from complete and grossly misguided in some areas. In the mean time I plan to finish cleaning up the interior and putting everything pack together inside so that it at least looks like a proper E30 again! I have also started removing most of the movable components in hopes of doing an M44 serpentine belt conversion as part of the "return-to-the-road" process that I am endeavoring. This is a spendy endeavor in and of itself, but I feel it will be a benefit to the car if I decide to to visit the supercharger. So far I have determined that the car also had Seimens 32lb injectors, which seem grossly oversized, especially compared to the stock injectors being 19lb. The FMU would appear to have been installed correctly, including the modification to the MAF. Sadly that means that the easiest way to return the car to stock is to source a non-modified MAF and airbox in the mean time. This thought brings me to chip tuning. I have had an interest in learning a thing of two about chip tuning for a long time, and this project, I think, will be the beginning. I asked Mark De'Sylvia if he had any chip for a supercharger of turbo and he said he did not, simply because there was nobody who wanted to get him the information he needed to compile one. He pointed me to Moates and their Ostrich emulator to get the information he wants to compile a tune for a 318is supercharged. I will return to that subject probably in the new year when the funds are recouped from the latest travels and the upcoming holidays. pictures later! -G :)

No comments: