Saturday, November 22, 2014

BMW m42 serpentine belt conversion

Place holder for the serpentine belt conversion information The goal is to go from the antiquated v-belt arrangement currently on the car to an e36 based serpentine belt arrangement. searching around the internets and realoem.com looks like hardware from the 94+ e36 318's has a high likelyhood of working very well for this. If only I could find one in a salvage yard locally!
This photo is supposedly from an E36 318i. It shows the front of the engine and from this photo I can tell that the oil filter can is the same, the thermostat housing is the same, and other small items are similar to the E30 engine bay that I am working with. I am going to order a set of cheapo ebay silicon radiator hoses for the E36 and see how they fit up. This photo also gives me a lot of confidence in the conversion working. The water pump is the same part number for both m42 and m44 engines. The water pump pulley is different, so a simple pulley swap should be enough for the water pump. The alternator obviously needs a different mounting system, which I believe is a large aluminum cast piece that bolts to the block in the same location as the comparable piece for the v-belt arrangement. the photo above (of the e36 m42 engine bay) further solidifies my confidence in this working. AS of this writing I have not determined if the alternator pulley can be swapped or if I actually need to source a different alternator for mounting purposes. The E30/m42 alternator is 12311721921 the e36/m42 alternator is 12311739421 (through 12/93) and the e36 94-on alt is 12311247310 the Z3 uses 12311247488 which is labeled as 80A compact.

No comments: