Wednesday, April 15, 2020

What does the future look like...

Wow, I have not written a post in over 1.5 years. I guess isolation seems like as good of time as any to write again.

So it is April 2020. Covid-19 is making a mess of the world right now. There are silver linings of course; like me writing this post, and getting okay sleep, not having to stress out as much about work, etc.
There is also, for me, an introspective side to this period of less work and more isolation. I have been having serious thoughts about leaving my career job and doing something else. I have been feeling this way for quite some time, but this large quantity of personal time has allowed my brain to explore these thoughts in more depth. Of course I have also been watching a ridiculous amount of youtube which also prompts a lot of daydreaming, not sure if that is good or bad...

So what is on my mind? A couple of items stand out.
-I don't like my day job any more. As a 36 year old white male, what are my options? I could go flip burgers or stock shelves anywhere probably, but what if I want to retain some dignity to my previous roles? How do I break out of the hole I have dug myself into by staying in my current role for 7 years?

-Is going back to education a feasible option? another undergraduate degree, a masters, or something foreign even? The caveat to this, of course, is that I need both money to pay for said schooling and resources to keep a roof over my head. I am very much torn on this as it is definitely a way to break into another career path but it comes at huge expense and a system reset for careers.

-Seeing the world. This is probably fueled, in a large part, by my choices of entertainment. reading and watching stories of other people up and leaving the world behind for a "grand adventure" Whether by motorcycle, truck, or boat this option seems the most volatile or risk prone. It also sounds the most satisfying!

So lets explore the mind some more!

No comments: