Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Covid career

Item: Career

So the background here is that I have worked for Polaris for 7 years, this month. The first almost two years as a contractor and the remainder as an employee. The first 5 years were pretty good: I got along with coworkers and the environment. But in the last few I have seen a far less ideal environment, more concern with the all mighty dollar rather than customers or employees. Also as my role has morphed over the years I get involved in more impossible politics which make me sick. Of course there are lots of aspects to this, but those are ones that are easy to put down in words.

So what are some alternatives?

Change roles at the same company.
This is probably the most easily accomplished alternative. I know people in different parts of the company that can probably get some leverage. The downside would be that I still work for the same company, so the environment would change only in the short term, and the social world of the company would remain the same: The dollar sign still wins and the customer still loses.
Don't get me wrong: Most corporate entities in the US will be like this. The advantage to changing to a new company is that it would likely take me another 5 years to really get a good grasp at their political and social situations. Not ideal but worth be realistic about it.

Moving to a new company.
Seems like what my soul needs, but not simple. Because of my very uncommon background and role, I don't have many professional connections. I have plenty of friends but they all do very different things professionally from myself. This equates to most job applications being "cold calls" to companies I have no connections at and no insights to their operations. So the likelihood of gaining said positions drops dramatically.

entrepreneurial alternative?
This one is a known option, but also a huge unknown for me personally. Do I envy the digital nomads of last months world? Yes, definitely, but I also don't a proven skillset that lends itself well to that lifestyle. The "side hustle" is not something that just springs up overnight, despite what you see on instragram. If you son't have a viable offering it is not going to amount to much. *shrug*

These are just a few options obviously.

They are also opinions and ramblings as I sit here staring out into my snowy yard and dream of warmer weather.

No comments: