Monday, May 26, 2014

First time on the single track!

Ah what a wonderful Memorial Day! hot and muggy just the way summer aught to feel.
While I have not forgotten to remember my Grandparents, who all devoted a bit part of their lives to protect the US of A, and all of those who did not get to come back to their families...I did have some cabin fever today so we decided to roll over to the Elm Creek MTB trails finally.
The parking lot looked PACKED, but the trails were not obnoxiously busy. I am a slow rider so I pull out of the way and let people past, no big deal.
Bottom line really is that the place rocks! We will definitely be going back more this summer!

Sadly the Bianchi was making some nasty noises by the time we got home. I suppose they didn't really design an extra tall frameset in the 90s for heavy single track use that modern mountain bikes see?
Bottle cage loosened up, which I snugged up on the trail.
Bottom bracket is clicking something fierce, opened it up at home to discover some pretty nasty brinelling/pitting on the axle along with one ball falling right out. So new bottom bracket assembly: stepping up to the modern world with a sealed BB! AND getting the correct sized one, which will hopefully fix the shifting problem this bike has always had!
Also bent up the rear wheel pretty good, and discovered while looking at sizing the BB that I have a 135mm rear hub in a 130mm dropout, so might get a completely new rear wheel as well.

Leann looked like she was going to die out in that heat, and took an early return, but looked much better once I got back to the trailhead. A snack and a leisurely pedal back home and its almost time to BBQ!

cheers!
G :)

No comments: