Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sometimes you just can't win...and sometimes you can!

Well, I managed to get some of the drive dilute problems on the Porsche figured out. Since there are a number of areas that appear to have original parts I am assuming that very little has been done to this car in terms of maintenance.
Since I was expecting some spark plug tubes to show up soon I thought I would go sink in the garage and get the car on stands, etc.
I decided that I should probably take the throttle body off and make sure it is clean. It is fairly straight forward to get everything off with minimal intrusion into anything complex.
I took the ICV, or AIC, servo off the TB and sure enough: caked with some nasty sooty stuff. I liberally applied much carb cleaner and let it sit a few minutes, then plugged the servo into the wiring and turned the ignition on. No reaction.
This is a good thing! Either the servo is shot completely, or it needs more cleaning.
So more carb cleaner, and more poking and scraping with a tiny screwdriver. Then another plugin session with no results. Now I acknowledge that it may likely be shot, so no harm in using a little manual adjustment: plug it in, power it up, and proceed to whack it on the top of the power steering pump that is conveniently siting there: Pop! Buzzzzz.
Working ICV! Great success!
A shot of WD for good measure and I bolted everything back in. Fired the beast up and, miracle of miracles, it now idles down to about 900 RPM!

No comments: